Monday, May 16, 2016

Pastries for breakfast

Monday, May 16

Surprise, surprise, my morning started off with a beignet and a cafe au lait from my favorite corner bakery store. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to also getting a raspberry tartlet.

After downing my coffee (they don't let you take drinks into theaters here) in a world record of 2.2 seconds, we got emotionally ready to walk into the film "Clash" directed by Mohamed Diab.

This Egyptian film kept me on the edge of my seat for the entirety of the film, taking place solely in the back of a police prisoner transport van. 

I potentially self diagnosed myself as claustrophobic. Not sure. Will keep you updated.

Okay back to things that matter: the film chronicles an entire day during the overthrowing of Morsi. The cast of characters include (but is not limited to) two Egyptian-American reporters, a family of 3, a Muslim daughter and father, and a local DJ.

Here's the brilliance of Diab's execution: while we get the facts of the opposing forces between the two parties trapped in the van, we are made to understand the bond they form inside. Common experience creates ties like no other and this circumstance is no different.

After "Clash", we moved into the bathrooms of the Palais to change into formal attire to beg for tickets.

I'll spare you the details but we didn't get tickets to either "American Honey" or "The Nice Guys" and that's okay. We really put forth a valiant effort but we are peasants of Cannes and sometimes nights aren't lucky.

The night before, we got stranded at the train station for two hours, so we were dying to get back to our apartment. During getting stranded, I saw a man who's looks can only be described as a living Nosferatu. This is not a drill. This man HAS to be Nosferatu. Every physical feature was the exact same. I can't speak on if he lives his life in black and white or if he is a vampire. Odds are high.

Anyways as we were walking away defeated, I saw Nosferatu going into the "Nice Guys" premiere. OF ALL PEOPLE NOSFERATU GOT IN. It's fine. Not bitter.

-EC

1 comment: